Sunday, February 12, 2012

Making the best of meager conditions in New England.

This is a tough winter in New England for anyone who likes sliding on snow, even in northern VT. But my most recent 2.3 days riding the teleboard tuned out very satisfactorily, possibly because I employed every coping strategy I know. Here's a list:
Race gates
* cameraderie. Riding with friends can press mediocre snow into service for a fun and memorable trip. Swapping stories in the hot tub is almost as good. Thanks to my friend Steve for making it happen again this year at Smuggs!
* Follow the conditions, not the trail map. My favorite trail was closed and others that are often enjoyable were better for displaying machismo than making satisfying turns. I found some good snow by taking the path of most resistance on popular trails, and later by visiting an obscure glade. The best riding was to be found on morse mountain, which is where the beginners tend to ski. It turned out that the one expert trail under the lift line was relatively unscraped. In addition, the wide, shallow, easiest-way-down trail received the best grooming and snowmaking on the mountain. My teleboard and I carved deeply sideways into this modest-looking slope, turning it into an exuberant spectacle. Teleboards are perhaps most at home when carving hard and turning heads.
* Get up early. My 3 runs before breakfast and the long ride home today were the best of the trip, and it was no accident. I made the first tracks on newly manufacured snow on a trail chosen the day before.
* take your technique out of the box. Play with the coefficients on all the parameters af your turn and find something better for the situation you are in. For man-made wind-slab on boulders I found my sweet spot by reaching a pole down further than usual and throwing a few hop-turns around to punch through the snow. When my edge found purchase in flatter terrain, sitting down hard into the turn or throwing my torso at the ground did the trick. (Watch video of extreme carving and try to imitate it sometime--It's even more fun to try than to watch, and falling from 4 inches doesn't hurt much.)
* Be opportunistic. Race gates open to the public cleared my head. A terrain park provided soft snow on an icy day. When what normally works for you fails, something unexpected might work.
smiling ladies
Thanks to everyone who showed up for making this trip one to remember!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Scott,

    I had my first day on a teleboard yesterday at Blue Mt. in the Poconos. Conditions were great, but I definitely wasn't. I managed about 7 runs all day, and, man, were my quads and hammies sore by the end of it all.

    In any case, I just thought I'd let you know that I'll be popping in to read your site now and again. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick up some good tips. I plan on hitting the slopes at least once a week. Maybe we'll even be on the same mountain some time, and you can give me some pointers.

    - Abe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on making it through day one! Being a beginner is definitely the hardest and most tiring part of the learning process, with all those tense little corrections your muscles need to make.

      I'd be happy to give you some pointers in person if we can work out a time and place. If you are willing, I might like to take some pictures of you learning to use in my book, or post here. I have a Wachusett season pass and bounce around to other mountains in New England Sporadically. Email me if you want to arrange something.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete