Thursday, February 16, 2012

Getting some air at Sunapee

Me, hop turning on over-sized bumps
Mikey especially likes the view of Lake Sunapee.
Yesterday I took the day off work along with friends Mikey and Jeremy and headed over to Sunapee. This was a case of following deals and conditions. We got an early enough start to see the lifts start spinning, and rode nearly every open trail. (Full disclosure, I have no financial relationship with Sunapee, or any other ski area.)

Fooling around on the beginner area's terrain park
Both of my co-conspirators were on snowboards, and Jeremy was early intermediate. Since Jeremy needed some advice getting down steeper sections in control and without chatter, the conversation turned to technique. Unsurprisingly, nearly all of it was relevant to teleboarding.

Lessons of the day:

  • One-footed hop turn: I've written before about the utility of hop turns on steeps and how any kind of jumping is good practice, but there is an even easier way to quickly pivot your board. Hop with your back foot but leave your front foot on the snow. As you are getting ready to transition into a right turn, get your weight onto your front foot. Quickly pull up your back toe and set it back down to the left of where it was. Your foot need not leave the ground for very long, nor go very high. This will help you make very quick and solid turns. You can also use more subtle version of this to turn on top of moguls.
  • Round scraping turns: (Thanks to Mikey for articulating this and to Jeremy for learning it in front of my eyes) Scraping the snow is the simplest and most common way to control speed on the snow, but it doesn't have to lead to slashing zig sags, unbalanced J-shaped turns, or poor form. I think the key is to not rush, even if you are on a steep slope where you could accrue speed to quickly. Let each turn develop gradually, and do it with steady rythym. If you apply this thinking to your scraping turns, your turns will come out round and you will go at a constant comfortable speed. I like to think of this as half carved turn, half hockey stop.
  • Blending techniques: I tend to write about techniques in pure form, but they can be adjusted and combined to your liking. If you know how to do sinuous, purely carved turns, and you also know how to do a hockey stop, you can make the round scraping turns I just mentioned. A hop turn can be toned down to make a light-footed turn where you stay on the ground, but still rotate more easily. The examples go on and on. Learn pure forms, and improve by trying extremes. But when trying for the best or most appropriate turn, ask yourself how you can mix and match techniques for the best outcome.
  • Even application of pressure: You can overcome chattering edges by pressuring your board hard, but smoothly and confidently. If you've ever learned to drive a car with a manual transmission, this is like getting the engine to stop lugging at low speed by just hitting the gas.
  • Get lower, lower than you think. Your whole body, especially your knees, is your suspension. You need to be in the middle of that range so that you can either extend or compress at any given moment to respond to shape of the slope and the turn you are making. Nice theory--In practice, people tend to ride to high, especially when they are tired or nervous. Also, you can get incredibly low on the teleboard, so the middle of the range is probably lower than you think. So adjust your stance to be lower, then lower still. Everything will start working better.
  • Goof around: At the end of the day you get tired. You probably know that this is when most injuries happen, so you should just call it a day, right? Maybe not. Why not go ride a part of the mountain that's way below your ability level? Yesterday Mikey and I found a beginner level terrain park, and it made the day complete somehow.

End-of-day fun



5 comments:

  1. Hey Scott,

    New tips sound helpful as always. I haven't had a second chance to get out on the teleboard again since two weekends ago - life keeps getting in the way. When I do, I'll see if I can put your tips to use. I will be doing some mid-week skiing next week at some small local mountains, but I'll see if I can head up your way any time soon. I'll definitely let you know.

    Best,
    Abe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Abe. Scott has been helping me with these sorts of things as I learn how to teleboard. You're facing a similar turn issue that I faced. I discovered that I was not turning my hips or getting as low as I needed to. Doing those things with my body pushed me outside of my comfort zone. It took something to go outside my comfort zone and do that. Once I did, the turns started happening. Good luck next season! -Aaron

      Delete
  2. Hey Scott,

    I managed to get out on the mountain again yesterday. I'm having a lot of trouble linking turns still. Mostly, I keep making the Round scraping turns that you talk about, and I can't link the turns or get myself back to facing down the fall-line. I have no trouble going fast and then doing a sideways ski stop. However, that seems to be the only thing I can do consistently. I suspect that I'm not putting enough weight on the lead foot, but it feels uncomfortable and tiring to focus on that so much. At the end of the day, I think that mounting my bindings more forward would compensate for my technique - but I sure I should just fix my technique. Any thoughts?

    Best,
    Abe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can make three suggestions offhand.
      - Ask a friend to yell at you. "Knees together" and "hips forward" are the two things that everyone seems to need reminders of in the beginning. If you're out alone, you'll have to remind yourself. As a beginner, try to make your hips go enough forward that it starts to feel slightly unnatural--later on you won't have to be such a stickler about this. These two things should ensure that your weight stays forward enough.
      - Less commitment to each turn. When you are part-way through a turn, don't try to finish it. The board doesn't need to be perpendicular to the fall line. Just go right on to the next turn while your board is maybe only 20 degrees off the fall line. Make your turns long and narrow. You might get up some speed doing turns this way, but that's a good thing--speed makes the basic motions easier. Of course your hockey stop has to be solid for this to be safe. Link 2 turns and stop hard. Then link 3, etc.

      I know the feeling of getting trapped in a turn, and it is easier to fix with experience than to describe or analyze. In my experience, this problem has gone away on its own just before I could figure out how to solve it. What I do know is that it is exacerbated by nerves, inexperience, shallow slopes and low speeds.

      I hope what I said helps. Good luck and have fun out there!

      Delete
  3. Thanks scott. I'm going to try and put it all to use. I've been making it work in my head. We'll are if all that visualization helps tomorrow. I'm on my way to Mt. Tremblant!

    ReplyDelete