Monday, February 28, 2011

Slope testing day 1

Last night I got in a first teleboarding night with my friend Aaron, who volunteered to help test my book. Thanks, Aaron!!!

I gave him an *extremely* rough draft to read. He gave me some useful feedback on the spot, and let me photograph him struggling with unfamiliar equipment & techniques. I think that photos of an actual beginner making typical mistakes, and then getting it right, is exactly what a teleboarding book needs.

We were on the 4-10pm shift, so pretty soon we lost the light, put away the camera and draft, and decided to pass some distance under our feet. A wide and shallow slope is good for learning, but a long one really is ideal.

Even though Aaron getting clocked in the head by a moving chairlift didn't help anything, our mission was a huge success. Around 9:30, I got a good look at the bottom of Aaron's board, carving a wide arc as he sped past.

Slope testing day 1 summary:
- Aaron went from zero to grinning intermediate in 6 hours.
- I have a bunch of tweaks and new material for the teleboarding book.
- You can learn technique from a book, but you get to teach yourself finesse.
- Helmets are a great idea.
- It's nice to have a good friend that will take some risks for you.

Keep thinking snow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment